Thursday, July 18, 2013

Guidance for Christian Entrepreneurship Sought

I've long been attracted to entrepreneurship.  After I began my advanced theological studies, I became interested in the interface of Christian theology and entrepreneurship.  I doubt that any organization has done more to pique my interests in this regard than the Acton Institute

It seems to me that God's call to care for the needy, implies...demands...more of believers than that we simply engage in handouts.  I simply cannot accept what seems to me a general attitude on the Theological Left that we fulfill our Christian obligation to care for the poor by rabble-rousing and demanding that someone else actually supply the jobs, food, opportunities, etc.  It is as though some think their only job is to shout and demand...and having done so, they've satisfied their calling to "provide" for the poor and needy.   This is, to my mind, a reprehensible thing.

It seems to me that we ought not to view our fellows merely as objects that need our ministrations in order to survive.  Rather, isn't it the case that our calling as beings created in the image of God, is to ourselves be creative and productive?  And as a corollary of that, doesn't it stand to reason that one of the highest ministries we can offer to the poor and needy is to help them flourish by unlocking their own capacities for creativity and production?

This is why I'm very interested in exploring the possibilities for entrepreneurial activity in my own life and station.  If any readers can direct me to sources you've found that are helpful in this regard, I would be very thankful.  (Please no spammers)

No comments:

Post a Comment